Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Das Boot

Kinky Boots is the kind of movie you'll like if you enjoyed The Full Monty, Calendar Girls, and Priscilla Queen of the Desert.
So I just loved it. It was recommended to me by my mother, who is very hard to please when it comes to movies. She's the type of person who'll notice if that wine glass the person is holding changes fullness from shot to shot. She also can't stand plot holes. When she tells me to watch something, I listen.
Kinky Boots is a delightfully fun movie, and a true story, about an old fashioned English shoe manufacturer that must choose to evolve or die when the world of mens' footwear starts to value low price over quality. A muse is found in an unlikely place.
The acting is really well done and the casting is just perfect. No one looks too glamorous to be working in a shoe factory. All no-name actors here. That helps you really get lost in the story.
This movie is also about changing minds and about adapting what life has given us into what we want, or at least something close to what we
want.
Fun colors and great costumes pepper the film. Yet another case of a talented costume designer that pegged both the frumpy factory workers and the Milan fashion scene, yet was looked over because they didn't do a period drama.
I don't know what it is about this type of British movie that's so appealing. Is it the quirky humor? The way the laughs are balanced out with a few tearful confessions? Or maybe it's just the whole you've-got-to-be-kidding-I-can't-believe-this-really-happened element?
I don't really care. If I'm looking for a good way to pass a rainy afternoon, a movie like Kinky Boots will do the trick every time.
-- Noel
Sent from my T-Mobile Sidekick
Share/Bookmark

No comments: